Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Bike, Basketballs and Bunkbeds...but no Baby!

Both girls scored some really cool stuff this weekend! Each one has officially graduated to a new stage in their young lives.
Sierra is now cruising around on a "big kid" bike. Marc bought her a fancy (pink!) Diamondback bike complete with a bell, gadget pack and streamers. She loves to ride to the park and never complains of getting tired. Unfortunately, she hasn't figured out the backpedaling breaks, so we've had some close calls on the curbs. She also loves her pink helmet! Funny note - when we're driving around town she always points out the people on motorcycles who aren't wearing helmets and tells me that they are not being very safe.
Sierra at Chateau Park, a couple blocks from our house.
We have recently discovered that Ally is very interested and quite talented with a basketball. A few weeks ago, some neighbors got a new hoop and often play street ball in the evenings while we are eating dinner. She is so distracted by their game that she can hardly eat. So, we were thinking that we would get her a kid's hoop for her birthday next month. Well...guess what we found at a yard sale on Saturday morning? A Fisher Price basketball hoop in excellent condition! Ally could hardly wait to get home and try it out. She invites everyone she knows to come play basketball with her and makes loud announcements whenever anyone misses a shot. (I'll have to get her on video and post it because I wish that you could hear her.) So, now I guess that we are back to the drawing board on birthday gift ideas. Oh well!

Ally shoots some hoops on Sunday afternoon. What form!

But here's the real zinger! Marc and I have been shopping around for bunk beds, thinking that it is about time for Ally to be out of her crib and Sierra out of her toddler bed. There were several we liked, but the price tags were pretty high. We figured that we would have to spend AT LEAST $1000 to get a set with mattresses. Again....yard sailing paid off! We found a really sturdy set, with mattresses, a great top-bunk rail, in great condition, with a built in desk and set of drawers, and with the kind of ladder that Marc wanted for a grand total of $200!!! What a steal. I have to admit, they are bulky and take up most of the space in the girls' room...but you should see how excited those girls are to go to bed. Ally is supremely jealous that she doesn't get to sleep on the top bunk, but from the minute she wakes up she can't decide whether to go outside and shoot baskets or climb up and down the ladder to visit Sierra a dozen times.

First morning on the bunks.

It was a busy and fun weekend, as you can tell. I have just one more picture to post, though. I was cleaning up the breakfast dishes a few days ago and heard the girls playing happily together in the playroom. I had to sneak in on them with a camera because here is what I found:

Dr. Sierra working on Ally's hurt knee. Gotta love it!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

I think I've checked this about 10 times today hoping for an update with baby pictures! Nothing yet? Poor Susie.
Love the pink bike. Mike would die if he ever had to buy that much pink. :)
The girls are going to have so much fun with their new beds. Our boys love theirs!