Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Valerie's Baby Shower

In case you don't already know, we have finally settled on a name for our third daughter. She is:
Valerie Joy
Ever since I read the Jim and Elisabeth Elliot biographies in high school, I have loved the name Valerie. (She was their only child and was 10 months old when Jim was killed. Elisabeth and Valerie remained in the Auca territory of Ecuador for several years before returning to the States.) Valerie means "strong/strength." Joy is my mom and sister's middle name. Together "Valerie Joy" has special meaning: THE JOY OF THE LORD IS MY STRENGTH! We pray that this will be true in the life of our precious little girl.
A few weeks ago I bought a baby book for Valerie. As I was flipping through the pages, I thought about how sad it would be to not have any entries under the Baby Shower category. Not that we needed much in the way of supplies, since we already have two girls and all the baby "stuff" you can imagine. But, well, you know....just the whole idea of not having a shower to tell her about, an invitation to show her, pictures to look back on, etc. That's when my sweet friend, Kelly, called and wanted to know if I would be interested in a low-key open house style shower that she wanted to host. WOW! I was thrilled! Another friend from church is expecting a little girl just a month ahead of me and we could make it a combined event since we have many mutual church friends. It was perfect. The theme was "Back to Basics" and we both got lots of diapers, wipes, receiving blankets, onesies, lotion, baby wash, etc. Sierra and Ally loved helping me open all the gifts and then show them off to Marc when we got home. The setting was so relaxing and the food was delicious. Thanks, Kelly. You know how to throw a party!





3 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm so glad you had a good time! I was a little nervous doing it open-house style but I think it worked out well.
I can't wait to meet little Valerie!

Megan said...

I love the name! It is beautiful for a beautiful girl I am sure.

Carl, Melitsa & Aiden said...

What a pretty name. I love it! Can't wait till we can see pictures of her :)