Lately I have been writing about a lot of fun and rather trivial things. That's not bad, but I decided to change it up a little tonight and tell you what I've been thinking about and studying the last couple of weeks. Hopefully it will spark some thoughts for you as well.
I think it all started with a message at Crouch Community Church this summer that turned into a lengthy discussion between Marc and I. The fear of God. It's something that our culture wants nothing to do with! It isn't being modeled very well in many Christian homes or schools. In fact, even in many churches it is being watered down and pushed aside. We'd much rather talk about the love of God or the grace of God. But who wants to live in fear of God?!?!
I do! Here's why...
Why should I fear God?
1. He is the Creator. (Psalm 33:8-18)
2. He has demonstrated His power throughout history. (Isaiah 25:1-3)
3. He is going to judge my motives, thoughts and actions. (Isaiah 29:13-24)
4. He answered my cry for help and rescued me. (Psalm 22:23-24)
5. He forgives my sins. (Psalm 130:3-4)
How do I demonstrate my fear of God?
1. I obey his commandments. (Proverbs 2:1-5)
2. I serve him joyfully. (Joshua 24:14-15)
3. I live with integrity. (Proverbs 8:13)
4. I praise and worship him alone. (Psalm 5:7)
5. I show honor to other righteous people. (Psalm 15:4)
6. I train my children to obey His Word. (Deut. 6:1-7)
7. I spread his renown. (Jeremiah 33:9)
What are the benefits of fearing God?
1. Wisdom. (Proverbs 1:7)
2. Honor. (Proverbs 31:30)
3. Prolonged life. (Proverbs 10:27)
4. Protection from harm. (Proverbs 14:26-27)
5. Friendship with God. (Psalm 25:14)
6. A blessing for my children. (Deut. 5:29)
7. Discernment. (Exodus 18:21-22)
8. Prosperity. (Proverbs 22:4)
... and I haven't even made it out of the Old Testament yet! It may seem simple and it doesn't look like much in list form, but this has been a good study for me. Rather than teaching my girls to live by the popular slogan "No Fear", I want to them to "K-n-o-w Fear!" The right kind of fear. The kind that will keep them from shipwrecking their lives and will bring glory to the God who loves them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Amen!! The fear of God is not often taught. Sadly so many churches preach such a watered down, chummy, chummy view of God!
What a blessing it will be to your girls that you take God's Word and who He is so seriously, and your desire is to impart that to them!!
That was great Serena! Thank you for sharing that. I may print that out and start my own study on it. Thanks!
Oh my goodness!! SO exciting to find your blog and see pictures of your cute family!! Your kids are so beautiful!! I have actually been thinking a lot about you this week because I started back at Legacy, just two days a week. I am excited that I can keep up to date with you now through your blog!! Hope you are doing well!
Lynn
Post a Comment