Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Widow of Zarephath

Although we hear that it caused some deep ethical and theological debate, Sierra got a glittery, purple "Princess Bible" from Grandma Cook for Christmas. It has been her most prized possession! She "reads" it often throughout the day, wants to look up all of her AWANA verses and studies the parallel gospel charts very carefully.

During Christmas break, she randomly decided that she wanted me to read to her from the book of 1 Kings before naps and at bedtime. One day, we turned to chapter 17 and and I read to her the story of Elijah and the widow of Zarephath. First, I explained what a widow is and I could tell that it really upset her. Being deeply rooted in my elementary education background, when we got to the part about the widow being asked to mix the last of her oil and flour, I had Sierra predict what would happen. She looked hopefully up at me and said, "Elijah is going to make her a new husband." Forget the miracle of supply and provision...this woman needed a husband!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Ha ha! Someday she's probably going to wish it were that easy :)

Carl, Melitsa & Aiden said...

That is really sweet :)

Stimacs said...

Janella said the same thing when I read the story to her. . . Although, Janella's comment may have had implications of cannibalism.
--Josh