Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sierra's p-ART-y!

Yesterday was Sierra's 9th birthday and we threw her a pARTy that she will never forget - it was just her style: arts and crafts with several of her closest friends.  I was telling one of the other moms that the rowdiest part of the whole afternoon was when we served up the food (crumbled brownies and vanilla ice-cream topped with sliced strawberries - Sierra's favorite!).  The rest of the time was spent listening to classical music while the girls painted, beaded and embroidered.  Lovely!


I borrowed several easels from friends at church and purchased a 16X20 canvas and a paint pallet for each of the girls.  They had a table full of various brushes and a whole rainbow of colorful acrylics to choose from.  The rain was gently falling outside and we kept the garage door up as they began to paint.  Here are the masterpieces that they created:






 

.
 (Sophie wins the "originality award" - she painted The Flying Cookie Angel.)



Then, we came inside for the embroidery and beading.  Each girl had a cross-stitch bookmark to decorate with colorful thread.  I was surprised at how popular this activity was and at how nimble their fingers were.  Since both Marc and I (and my wonderful Mother, who came over just in time!) were all busy rinsing brushes, threading needles and tying off bracelets, I was not able to get a lot of pictures of this part of the afternoon...but you get the idea.




The whole afternoon reflected Sierra's personality very well.  It was a wonderful way to celebrate her birthday.  We love her for her quiet, tenderhearted spirit.  Happy Birthday, Sweet Sierra!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

What a fun party! I think I would like that :)

Amanda said...

Iyana had so much fun. What a great party idea!