Saturday, November 6, 2010

Oregon Trail Adventure

Yesterday was a good, good, good, good day...one of those days that you know you'll be talking about for a long time. Sierra didn't have school on Thursday and Friday due to parent/teacher conferences throughout the district. (That will be the subject of another post - we're so proud of her!) Anyway - I have been searching around the area for covered wagons where we could do a little photo shoot of the girls in their prairie dresses. On the Internet, I discovered that there is an Oregon Trail Interpretive Center in Baker City, Oregon, which is only two hours away from our home. The weather man assured me that we would have a clear day, so I decided to take the girls on a little adventure. Marc had to work, but I thought that I could handle a trip like that on my own. Well, my mom got wind of our plans and thought that she might just take a day off for herself and join us. WE ARE SO HAPPY THAT SHE CAME!!! Besides keeping the girls content in the back seat during the drive, she was able to share a very memorable day with us.

Grandma Phyllis and the girls at our first stop: Farewell Bend State Park.
Sierra on the beautiful banks of the Snake River.
We let the girls change into their dresses before walking through the little museum. I wish I had a picture of other people's faces as they watched Sierra and Ally explore the exhibits.
Grandma helps the girls decide which items are most important to take in a covered wagon. Each block was labeled with things like: dry beans, blankets, musical instruments, tools, books, medicine, china dishes, gun powder, pots and kettles, etc.
After visiting the center, we stopped to see the ruts of the Oregon Trail down in the valley.
On our way back home we stopped back in at Farewell Bend for more pictures...this time in costume!

Valerie was her usual uncooperative self when it came to picture taking! She did have a good time exploring and being carried around by Grandma all day - she just didn't make it into too many of the snapshots. Oh well! I'm sure that there will be another trip to Baker City in our future.

5 comments:

summer said...

That's fantastic! The girls, their dresses, the backdrop! So glad you were able to do this! I loved, loved, loved Little House on the Prairie!
Looks like an awesome day!
And to think when I drive to see my family it's only 7 more hours in the car! :)

Amanda said...

What a wonderful time you had (and educational too)! Loved seeing all the pictures. We drive through Baker all the time but have never stopped there. Now I think we'll have to make plans to, looks like fun!

Kelly said...

Yay! I'm so glad you made it out there! I bet they LOVED it! You must frame those pictures for them! They're so cute! And what's up with Valerie?!? Doesn't she know there's a cute Christmas card that needs to be made?!? Darn those stubborn #3's! :)

The Cooks said...

Those have got to be THE most precious pics yet!

Unknown said...

They look just like Mary and Laura!! I guess time "Carrie" will have to joing in :). I only stop by your blog every so often, I love it everytime I do!

Much Love,
Raquel