Monday, December 19, 2011

Generosity

I have spent the better part of this morning trying to find a book, or rather, a certain paragraph in a book.  I was not successful.  But SOMEWHERE I remember reading a good illustration about generosity, so I'm going to have to paraphrase it for you here.  Now, maybe it means a little bit more to me because I lived in Israel for several years.  As a kid, I floated in the Dead Sea and swam in the Sea of Galilee.  (How cool is that?!)  But I think that you'll still get the point.

"There are two lakes in Israel and there are two kinds of people in the world." 

The Dead Sea in the south has an inlet, but no outlet.  It receives but it never gives.  The land around it is arid and lifeless.  Although its water is rich in minerals it is not suitable for drinking or sustaining life.

The Sea of Galilee in the north has both and inlet and outlet.  The landscape around it is green and refreshing.  Animals and humans alike benefit from its supply of fresh water.

And so it is with people.  There are those who always receive and yet are like a parched wasteland.  They never give and therefore the landscape around them dries up.  And then there are those who have a constant outlet for their blessings.  They give and give and give, yet they never run dry.  They are refreshed and they bless those around them.

My sister is one of those people.  She never comes over to our house without some kind of blessing - usually a cute item of clothing for the girls that she picked up at the Other Mother's 25 cent sale or a super-duper couponing bargain item for my pantry.  In fact, she has a whole closet in her house called "the gift closet."  It is full of baby items, clearance clothing, toys, lotions, etc.  If you looked up "generosity" in the dictionary, her picture would be there!  For sure.

I mention this because lately our family has received one blessing after another.  I posted about the beautiful Christmas tree that someone delivered, but I haven't told you about the card that someone left in our church mailbox yesterday.  $100 cash - no signature.  Or, how about the large Scrip gift donations through the families at Marc's school?  One blessing after another.  It's been so encouraging and so humbling.  I just hope that we never end up like the Dead Sea.

2 comments:

Benjy, Susie, Savannah, Riley said...

Thank you, Serena! I was reading along, so engrossed, agreeing all the way - until I got to the part about me. I don't think giving 29 cent teriyaki sauce qualifies me for the Most Generous award, but thank you. =)

Kelly said...

So sweet! I love sisters :)

I love this illustration! What a great word picture!

Remind me to tell you about something I read about called God Pockets. (not to be confused with Hot Pockets :))