Thursday, September 1, 2011

Blessings? Yes!


This week...

... a baby boy was born prematurely and was missing three fingers.

... my friend had to remove herself and her children from their home because her husband can't control himself when he drinks.

... my uncle had a gun held to his head and was robbed of money which was to be used to build camp facilities in Brazil.

... I stumbled upon the blog of an old high-school friend who recently lost his wife to a brain tumor. He is left to raise two small children while trying to trudge through his own grief.

JUST THIS WEEK.

I don't mean to sound morbid, but we live in a sick, broken world. It's almost too much to bear. And I'm sure that those of you reading this could probably make your own similar lists.

So how come I still believe that GOD IS GOOD and that GOD IS LOVE? I'll tell you. (Well, not I technically.) There is a rather new song on the radio and I can't hear it without crying. The lyrics are perfect. The melody is beautiful. It's by Laura Story, a woman who has lived through some very difficult times herself. It's called...



Blessings


We pray for blessings.
We pray for peace.
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep.
We pray for healing, for prosperity.
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering.
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things.

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops?
What if Your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near?
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise?

We pray for wisdom;
Your voice to hear.
And we cry in anger when we cannot feel You near.
We doubt Your goodness; we doubt Your love.
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough.
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe.

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops?
What if Your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near?
And what if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise?

When friends betray us;
When darkness seems to win,
We know the pain reminds this heart
That this is not, this is not our home.
It's not our home!

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops?
What if Your healing comes through tears?
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near?
What if my greatest disappointments,
Or the achings of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy?

And what if trials of this life;
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights,
Are Your mercies in disguise?




(Oh! And if you have time, the message called "Where is God?" by John Piper is a good one to listen to when trials seem too much to bear.)


God is good...ALL THE TIME. Do you believe it?


2 comments:

Kelly said...

I do believe it! I could construct quite a list of mine own this week, starting with that sweet baby boy.
This song came on the radio right after we heard about his diagnosis several months ago. Every single time I hear it, I pray and cry. We do live in a broken world that would mean nothing without the hope only Christ can offer. God is good. All the time.

Bec said...

Ah! Thank you for sharing this. I was wondering who wrote this song. I heard it on the radio the other day and it really got me thinking. It also reminded me of when Pastor Dave mentioned whether or not we are to pray for ease/no suffering. Gotta go, need some tissues... :)