Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ready or Not - Here She Comes!

Sierra starts Kindergarten tomorrow.

As much as I've tried to prepare myself for this new phase of life, I don't think that I will ever feel totally ready. Oh, Sierra's ready. It's this Mommy who wants to stop the clock. Sierra knows her letters and numbers. She can't wait to use her new backpack and Princess folder. She's excited about meeting new friends. She thinks her classroom looks really fun. It's me that doesn't want to let her go. I'm the one who's crying because school is about to start.

I have come to the conclusion that it's just a territorial issue. She has been with me for five years and now I have to turn her over to someone else for a few hours every day. Someone else will have to open her milk. Someone else will put the Band-aid on her skinned knee. Someone else will button that stubborn button on her jean shorts. Someone else will give her praise when she's doing a good job or encourage her to keep trying. Someone else will turn on those light bulbs in her brain.

Funny how that "someone" who I didn't know last week is now near the TOP of my prayer list. Mrs. L is my new best friend....she just doesn't know it yet. Now I understand what all those parents were going through when I, as a young Kindergarten teacher, was trying to get them to leave my classroom on the first day of school. I promise that won't be one of those moms who tries to peek through the mini-blinds all day, but I finally get it!

So pray for me tomorrow, will you?! And pray for Ally too. She's gonna miss having her big sister and best playmate around all morning.

Alright, I'll stop now. Otherwise I might fry the laptop. Tears in the keyboard are not a good thing. I'll be back with pictures of the cutest Kindergartner in Meridian tomorrow.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Yep that's it. :) And it's HARD! I am praying for you guys! I know tomorrow morning will be a bittersweet one in your home.

Mrs. Colleen Ford said...

I will be praying for you as well! I know how hard it is. The night before Lillie went I was in your same boat so that was one week ago. She is going to do GREAT! Good luck!

summer said...

I almost made it through your post w/o crying...almost! Hope your day went well today! It eventually becomes the new normal...I think!
blessings,

Bryan Bennett said...

Hey Mark and Serina,

First, Your blog is very nicely done. The pictures are wonderful. Very cool way to give people updates. I might steal some ideas but I doubt I will be able to do it so well.

I miss you guys a lot. So much time passes so quickly. sigh... but hey, we will have a million years in heaven to catch up plus some. Would love to talk. Ill send an email with my phone number. Give me a call. I am thinking about doing the whole texting plan but haven't gotten there yet.

Orawin is doing great. She is working towards a master's degree in special education. I am too. I havent been able to get a job because of layoffs and cutbacks. But once i get the credential and masters I should be good.

If you have time to get in touch my email is either/both jslearner@gmail.com or bryanandorawin@comcast.net

Best Regards
Bryan Bennett