I have a special (TRUE!) story to share...
Early on Wednesday morning I opened the mini-blinds of our front windows and discovered a post-it note with an arrow pointing down to the ground outside. This led me to open the front door where I saw an ordinary brown mailing box with a small type-written tag taped on the front which read "For Valerie." The box was very light when I picked it up. My mind started reeling. I took the box inside and opened it up on the dining room table. No one else in my family was awake yet. I had just fed the little miss and knew that I couldn't go back to sleep. (Now I was very wide awake!) Inside the box was an envelope. On the envelope the reference "Matthew 6:25-34" was typed. Before I opened the envelope I got my Bible out and read the passage. By this time I was sobbing. My fingers trembled as I opened the envelope. A very large sum on money was inside. Cash. There was nothing else. A box, an envelope, a Bible passage and a very generous gift.
I immediately thought that my parents were behind all of this. After awkwardly bringing the matter up with them, I found out that they are not. In fact, they don't have any idea who is involved. Marc and I have tried to guess who left the box at our door but we really have no idea. This leaves us in a difficult situation. Obviously, we desperately want to say THANK YOU for the gift. But how?! Someone has chosen to remain anonymous. It seems like such a meaningless thing, but an open letter is really the only way that we could hope to get our gratefulness across. We pray that the right person/people will read this.
Dear Gift-Giver,
You will probably never know how much your gift has meant to our family! God has used you to teach us yet another lesson about His faithfulness and provision. Marc and I are humbled to tears to be on the receiving end of such generosity. Thank you for both the physical and spiritual blessings that your gift has given to us. You have helped us to pay a hospital bill, but your gift has done much more than that. We have been reminded of God's faithfulness. We have seen the body of Christ put love into action. We have been able to teach our girls about the Biblical model for giving. And we have realized again our utter dependence on God in all areas of life. Thank you!
At the beginning of Matthew 6 it says, "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Our prayer is that you will be rewarded in ways that only God could accomplish.
We are so very thankful,
Marc and Serena Mouser
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh Serena! I have goosebumps! That's so great!
I am crying as I write this. What a beautiful reminder of God's love and faithfulness. I'm sure your gift giver will be blessed. Thanks for sharing the news. We love you and are jealous of Dan and Kelly and girls. Some day we hope to go too! Aunt Marcy
Post a Comment