Saturday, October 1, 2011

No Greater Fear

Up until last night I had never had to dial 9-1-1. Up until last night I had never been inside an ambulance. Up until last night I had never been wheeled into the ER on a gurney- with a child in my arms! And I hope and pray that I will never have to do it ever, ever, ever again.

We were supposed to be watching Sophie and Ben for the evening while their mom and dad went out for a date. I was tired and low on groceries, so we decided to walk a couple of blocks to the nearest McDonald's for a bite to eat. I was a few steps ahead on the sidewalk with the bigger kids and Valerie was skipping next to Marc. She tripped. Her knee got a little scrape and her mouth and forehead hit the sidewalk. No big deal, she's done that a million times. (What kid hasn't?!) Marc called me back to comfort her. She was trying to cry but didn't take a breath. I remember both Marc and I saying, "Just breathe, Valerie. Just breathe." She's done this breath holding thing before too. But this time it was different. She actually fainted. The next few minutes are a big blur. Valerie didn't just faint and then wake up. Her eyes were open, but she was not responsive. I called the paramedics and they were there within minutes. I'll spare you all the details - but you can imagine what the four other children might have been feeling as they watched the scene unfold. Thankfully, God provided a neighbor and friend from church who just happened to be home on a Friday evening to escort all of them over to her driveway. I got in the ambulance with Valerie and away we went. By the time we got into the ambulance she was beginning to act normally and even answered a few questions for the EMT. Marc met me in the ER after getting the other children settled with my Dad. The nurses checked her vitals and then the doctor ordered a CT scan just to make sure that there wasn't any injury to her brain. During this time Valerie was sleepy, but was acting like herself. She eventually got hungry and told me, "I want go away 'dis place." The staff observed her for a couple of hours and when everything came back clear we were allowed to leave. Just like that. All from one little trip on the sidewalk. But I'll tell you, those were some of the most frightening minutes of my life.

We are so thankful that it wasn't more serious. She has only minor scratches to show for all that drama. Last night she slept soundly next to me. I was supposed to wake her up a couple of times in the night - which I did - but she was so tired! I am to take her to the pediatrician on Monday for a follow up. I'm guessing that there won't be much to say. Will you pray with us that the next time she gets hurt she will cry properly and not hold her breath? At this point, that is really our only concern.

And now for some much needed rest....

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh Serena! I knows firsthand the breath holding spells are pure terror! What happened to Valerie was always my biggest fear with Carson. I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that! Praise the Lord she's okay! We'll be praying she doesn't do it again! If it's any consolation, Carson's episodes peaked around age 2 or 3 and completely disappeared by the time he went to kindergarten.

Anonymous said...

Sooo hard. So sorry, will be praying!

Amanda said...

Such a scary experience! Praise the Lord that she's doing fine now. Loved having her and the girls there this morning. They are such a delight!

Fabiana said...

A very horrible experience! Blessed be the Lord, because it is healthy again. When I read the story, I filled myself with you. I'll pray for you. You are something special for me and so your family.